Healthy Protein Cheesecake Recipe
It’s very easy to think that protein and baked goods do not mix. However, you can have your cake and your protein at the same time with this health, protein cheesecake recipe. Protein powder and low-fat dairy products can create a delicious and healthy dessert that will leave you forgetting about the local bakery.
Regular desserts may taste great, but they are not beneficial for your health. Sweets tend to be lacking nutritional benefits and are often times full of detrimental ones — such as sugar, saturated fats, and artificial flavorings. Too often individuals find themselves consuming way too many sweets, mainly because they taste great and are often readily available. Consuming too many sugary desserts can lead to an increased risk of diabetes, tooth decay, increased risk of Crohn’s disease, reduced bone strength, increased chances of developing heart disease, cancer and acne as well as an increase in bad cholesterol levels. Additionally, sugar can be addicting! Research has shown that sugar can be just as addicting as drugs. The more sugar you consume, the more you are going to want to eat. Foods with sugar, salts and fat play a large role in contributing to the obesity epidemic.
On the other hand, a protein-packed dessert can help to:
- Stimulate muscle protein synthesis, which means stronger and healthier muscles.
- Keep you feeling full, which can help lower your daily caloric intake. When you are feeling full, you are much less likely to reach for unhealthy, high-calorie snacks.
- Lose weight easier. Protein increases the number of calories your body burns when digesting it. This is known as a thermic effect. Protein requires nearly two times the calories required to break down carbohydrates.
- Increase bone density and decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis. Research has shown that increased protein intake is beneficial in keeping bones healthy.
It’s hard to believe that enjoying cheesecake can help you enjoy the benefits of protein. Check out the recipe below we found on Builtlean.com.
- 12oz cup Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 10 oz Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp Stevia
- 1/4 cup of Milk
- 1.5 scoop of Whey Protein Powder in Vanilla
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Dash of Salt
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Soften cream cheese in a large mixing bowl by pressing down with a spoon.
- Add eggs and stevia and mix using an electric mixer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue mixing for 2-3 min.
- Pour in baking pan (6" pan works best) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 for 25 min then turn down the oven to 200 and continue baking for an additional hour.
- Let cool in the fridge for 4-5 hours
recipe credit: bodybuilding.com
For more delicious and healthy recipes, subscribe to have them sent straight to your inbox!
- Nashua Nutrition