For busy professionals or stay-at-home moms alike, time is a premium factor in food choice. Yes, healthy food can be prepared fast, and there are certainly healthy choices you can just “grab and go” before and after the gym.
But sometimes you just want something a little more. Whether it’s when you’re relaxing on the couch after a long day and virtuous workout or buzzing between errands, it’d be nice to have a sweet treat without going off the deep end.
That’s where workout cookies come in. These things rock and they’re infinitely customizable. If you’re already scoffing at the notion of a “workout” cookie, hold on a second- no one’s saying that you have to eat them before or after the gym.
Think of the “workout cookie” title as being representative of your healthy lifestyle as a whole; you eat well and go to the gym, and the ingredient list for workout cookies reflect that you care about what goes into your body.
These sweet treats contain wholesome ingredients like applesauce, whole-wheat flour, flax seed, and dried fruit, finished with a decadent dark chocolate drizzle.
Kudos to the author at Sweet Hersey Living, because these are beyond incredible, and we’ve had a great time customizing our cookies with different fruit combos- mixed berry drizzled with white chocolate is equally good, and dark chocolate with raisin tastes like a handful of Raisinets- absolutely delicious, with added protein from the peanut butter and trusty protein powder.
Pre/Post Workout Protein Cookies
Author: Sweet Hersey Living
- ½ c. applesauce
- ¼ c. honey
- ½ c. peanut butter
- ¼ c. water
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ c. whole wheat flour
- 4 scoops BSN- vanilla protein powder
- ½ c. old-fashioned oats
- ½ c. dried fruit such as cranberries, or raisins
- 3 c. high fiber cereal
- ¼ c. ground flax seed
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together applesauce, honey, peanut butter, water, vanilla, egg, protein powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flour.
- Toss in the oats, fruit, cereal, and flax seed.
- Drop onto a greased cookie sheet in ¼ scoops.
- Bake 11-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.