Superfoods for a Sizzling Summer
These nutrient-dense powerhouses are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that will help keep you strong and energized no matter where your summer takes you. Whether it’s to the beach or exploring a new city, you’ll be feeling your best and enjoying all that summer has to offer. To maximize summer vacation, give these superfoods a try:
- Cherries. Cherries are in-season from May-August so now is the perfect time to take advantage of this superfood. They are fun to eat and the perfect snack for on-the-go. They are rich in anthocyanin (which is an antioxidant), which can help to ease joint pain and fight inflammation. Check out your local farmers market or grocery store for fresh cherries this summer. For that cherry flavor that won’t go bad, enjoy Bariatric Advantage Cherry Omega-3 Chewy Bites.
- Blueberries. Blueberries may be small, but they make a great summer snack. Packed-full of antioxidants, blueberries can help fight off disease and even boost your brainpower.Blueberries are great on their own, with yogurt or in a smoothie.
- Melons (watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe). Looking to stay hydrated this summer? Satisfy your sweet tooth and increase your water intake with sweet and juicy melon. Chop up a variety of different melons to create a refreshing fruit salad for breakfast or freeze pieces of melon on skewers for the perfect afternoon snack.
- Peaches. For many, peaches are a staple summer fruit. Peaches are sweet and loaded with potassium, vitamin C, and fiber. Not many sweet treats can help fight bloating, control your weight and enhance the appearance of your skin. For a new treat this summer, try grilling your peaches. If you enjoy yogurt, chop up some peaches and use them as a topping.
- Corn. Corn is the perfect item to add to a summer cookout or any summer meal on the patio with family and friends. Corn is classified as a starchy vegetable. Full of plenty of nutrients, even the pickiest palates tend to enjoy corn. Enjoy corn on the cob with cayenne pepper and lemon juice on the grill. This vegetable is full of fiber and antioxidants.
Enjoy these superfoods to jumpstart a summer full of fun and memories with family and friends.
- Nashua Nutrition Admin