Summer Fitness: Stay In Shape and Enjoy Your Summer
Summertime can be more relaxed and less structured than the rest of the year. With vacations, cookouts and plenty of ice cream everywhere you look, it can be much easier to lounge poolside and enjoy the sweet and unhealthy treats that summer has to offer.
Just because the living is easy during the summer time, doesn’t mean fitness has to take a summer vacation as well. Follow these tips to help make sure you don’t undo all of the hard work you’ve completed earlier in the year.
- Never make excuses for not working out, always make time. Schedule fitness into your day much like you would a doctor’s appointment, a job interview or a meeting a work. Put your “fitness” appointment on a calendar or on your phone. When the time comes, be sure to workout! With summer being so relaxed at times, it can be very easy to say you’ll workout tomorrow. Instead of working out tomorrow, workout this morning. Workout early in the day before it gets too hot and you have other plans. A morning workout can help you feel energized and ready to take on the day. Walk your dog, go for a run, swim laps or take an exercise class.
- Workout consistently. Working out consistently does not mean you have to complete the same exact workout each time you workout. Consistently workout simply means that you always put worth the effort and exercise become a regular habit. You can swim one day and run the next. You can workout at lunchtime one day and in the evening the next day. Do whatever fits your schedule, but always make time for exercise.
- Take advantage of all the fitness resources available to you. You can beat exercise boredom. If you have come bored of running the same 3 miles each and everyday use the Internet as a solution. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, and Pinterest are amazing resources to help make exercise fun. There are so many exercise accounts that everyone is bound to find something they enjoy. You might enjoy a 30-minute ab workout on YouTube one day and the next you might take a few short Pinterest workouts to help target your upper body. Social media is also a great way to challenge your friends to be active.
- Avoid Unhealthy Temptations. Summer is full of unhealthy temptations. If you are not careful, these indulgences may start to show. Eating healthy is key to staying in shape. However, it is okay to treat yourself from time to time. Keep in mind that everything is okay in moderation. Before you head to a cookout, enjoy a small, healthy snack at home. This way you will be feeling full and much less likely to eat as much at the cookout. Limit your alcohol intake and always carry a bottle of water with you. Hydration is so important during the summer. For some great, on-the-go summer snacks check out Quest Nutrition.
- Don’t forget to have fun with your fitness. One of the biggest reasons people quit their exercise programs is because they are bored and are not having any fun. Exercise does not have to be boring. It’s summertime! Take advantage of the outdoors and get creative with your workouts. Put on some music and dance, go for a run, go hiking, go swimming, walk the dog or sign up for an exercise class with friends. Do whatever it takes to beat exercise boredom. Summer is the one time of the year when virtually any type of exercise is possible. Take advantage of the outdoors before you are stuck on the treadmill during the winter again!
- Nashua Nutrition Admin