Coconut water—not to be confused with coconut milk or coconut oil—has become a very popular drink in recent years. Acquired from young, green coconuts, coconut water is low in sugar and high in nutrients, making it a healthy addition to any diet. It can assist with weight loss and digestion while keeping you hydrated, and it can even help control blood pressure.
- High nutrient content: First, we’ll look at the nutrients coconut water brings. It’s high in potassium, calcium, phosphorous, sodium, and magnesium while being low in fat and sugar. The nutrients it contains, which are important electrolytes, assist the body in a variety of ways, ranging from blood flow regulation to improved brain and nervous system function.
- Keeps you hydrated: One of the first things people might say to you about coconut water is how it’s far superior to sports drinks when it comes to replacing electrolytes and rehydrating the body. It’s true that coconut water has less sodium, less sugar, and more electrolytes than your average sports drink, so replacing your Gatorade with a glass of coconut water can improve hydration during rigorous exercise.
- Assists weight loss: Given its low fat and sugar levels, coconut water can be consumed without concern for weight gain. It also tends to be a bit richer than plain water or sports drinks, making you feel more full after consuming it. Thus, it can safely be used to supplement meals and replace sugary drinks, assisting you with your weight loss goals.
- Aids digestion: Coconut water is high in fiber, which allows it to assist with moving food through your system and preventing acid reflux. It also contains Lauric acid, which the body converts into a substance that combats gastrointestinal infections.
- Reduces blood pressure: Potassium, one of the electrolytes found in abundance in coconut water, helps regulate blood pressure. As such, high blood pressure is usually associated with a potassium deficiency. Drinking some coconut water each day can, therefore, help reduce high blood pressure and improve overall cardiovascular health.
As one of the healthiest drinks around, coconut water makes a potent addition to any diet. There is no set amount on how much one should drink each day, but you should know that coconut water does add a few calories to your diet. Also note that it comes from young green coconuts, not brown mature ones, so when shopping for coconut-water coconuts, keep that in mind.