Pro-Stat® Sugar Free AWC
Pro-Stat® Sugar Free Advanced Wound Care is a high calorie, complete protein liquid, with added Arginine, Citrulline, Cystine, Zinc, and Vitamin C. It is the only wound care supplement to contain Citrulline, a precursor to Arginine increasing nitric oxide production, (thus increasing blood flow to the wound and collagen formation). This uniquely engineered combination of ingredients provides a synergistic approach to wound healing while reducing the need for multiple supplements and added cost. Nitric oxide is essential for wound healing. It increases blood and oxygen flow to the wound, increases collagen formation, reduces inflammation and kills bacteria all helping to close wounds. Arginine is the only producer of nitric oxide, however, 40% of ingested arginine is broken down by the intestine and liver making less available for nitric oxide production. Citrulline, prevalent in watermelon, converts to arginine but is not broken down like arginine. This conversion allows for more nitric oxide production thus facilitating healing. Citrulline has been shown to be more effective than arginine in raising plasma arginine levels.
Each one fluid ounce (30 ml) serving of Pro-Stat Suger Free AWC with Citrulline contains:
17 grams of hydrolyzed complete protein to reduce protein energy/calorie malnutrition, build muscle, repair tissue, fight infections and reduce overall morbidity/mortality. Indicated for pressure ulcers, burns, post-surgical wounds, diabetic foot ulcers, and venous stasis ulcers.
The physiological demands of repair and recovery from wounds, burns, sepsis and trauma (including surgical trauma) often require greater amounts of L-arginine than can be synthesized by the body. Additional dietary intake of L-arginine is indicated when these conditions are present.
- Needed to promote protein regeneration and the healing of wounds.4
- Essential when the body is under stress or in an injured state.5
- Conditionally essential, particularly during growth, illness or metabolic stress when the body's production may be insufficient to meet demands.6
- Improves markers of wound healing with greater protein and hydroxyproline in the wound bed and promotion of positive nitrogen balance.7
Citrulline supplementation is an efficient alternative to oral administration of Arginine in raising its plasma levels and modulating Nitric Oxide production. A non-standard amino acid found in watermelon.
Cystine controls and promotes positive nitrogen balance for minimizing muscle breakdown and rebuilding lean body mass (LBM).
- Required to synthesize glutathione ( GSH ), the cell's major antioxidant that plays a vital role during tissue repair and collagen synthesis.
- GSH destroys damaging oxygen radicals that are continually being generated with pressure ulcers and GSH keeps Vitamin C stable and active.
- Cystine produces the bioavailable form of GSH.
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
Vitamin C is essential for wound healing and for the repair and maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth. Vitamin C deficiency can lead to a decreased wound-healing rate. The body does not manufacture vitamin C on its own, nor does it store it.8,9
- Promotes collagen synthesis and enhances activation of leukocytes and macrophages to the wound site.9
- Promotes healthy cell development, proper calcium absorption, normal tissue growth and repair - such as healing of wounds and burns.9
- Required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body.9
- Necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels.9
Zinc has been shown to be beneficial to wound healing and zinc deficiency has been associated with delayed wound healing.10,11
- Assists in immune function and interacts with platelets in blood clotting.12
- When zinc supplements are given to individuals with low zinc levels, the numbers of T-cell lymphocytes circulating in the blood increase and the ability of lymphocytes to fight infection improves.12
- 1. Lyder C, Yu C, Stevenson D, Mangat R, Empleo-Frazier O, Emerling J, McKay J. Validating the Braden Scale for the prediction of pressure ulcer risk in blacks and Latino/Hispanic elders: a pilot study. Ostomy Wound Manage. 1998;44(suppl 3A):42S-49S.
- 2. Cuddigan J, Ayello EA, Sussman C, Baranoski S, eds. Pressure Ulcers in America: Prevalence, Incidence, and Implications for the Future. Reston, VA: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel; 2001.
- 3. Lyder CH. Pressure ulcer prevention and management. JAMA. 2003;289:223-226
- 4. Desneves K J, Todorovic B E, Cassar A, & Crowe T C. (2005). Treatment with supplementary arginine, vitamin C and zinc in patients with pressure ulcers: a randomised controlled trial. Clinical Nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland), 24(6 (Print)), 979-987.
- 5. S. Kwon Lee, M.D., FACS, Mary Ellen Posthauer, R.D., C.D., L.D., Becky Dorner, R.D., L.D., Vicki Redovian, M.A., R.D., L.D. Mary Jane Maloney, R.N., M.S.N., C.N.P., C.W.S. Pressure Ulcer Healing with a Concentrated, Fortified Collagen Hydrolysate Protein Supplement; A randomized controlled trial. Advances in Skin & Wound Care. March 2006.
- 6. Kirk SJ, Hurson M, Regan M, et al. Arginine stimulates wound healing and immune function in elderly human beings. Surgery. 1993;114:155-160.
- 7 Barbul A, Lazarou SA, Efron DT, et al. Arginine enhances wound healing and lymphocyte immune responses in humans. Surgery. 1990;108:331-337.
- 8. Benati G, Delvecchio S, Cilla D, et al. Impact on pressure ulcer healing of an arginine enriched nutritional solution in patients with severe cognitive impairment. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2001; (suppl): 43-47.
- 9. Albina JE, Mills CD, Barbul A, et al. Arginine metabolism in wounds. Am J Physiology 1988;254:E459-E467
- 10. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm
- 11. Adv Wound Care. 1999 Apr;12(3):137-8. The role of zinc in wound healing. Andrews M, Gallagher-Allred C. Geriatric and Long Term Care Services, Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories, Columbus, OH, USA.
- 12. Anderson I. Zinc as an aid to healing. Nurs Times 1995;91:68, 70.
- 13. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html#issues
- Bariatric Advantage
- Bariatric Fusion
- Bell Lifestyle
- Celebrate Vitamins
- Control Products
- Doctors Designs
- Health Direct
- Herbal Balance
- Kay's Naturals
- Nature's Essence
- NLA for Her
- Quest Nutrition
- Quick Boost
- Weight Loss Systems
FREE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP!
- About Us
- Contact us
- Directions & Hours
- Free Sample Kit
- Free Shaker (Orders Over $150)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- High Order Volume - Processing Delays
- No Hassle Return Policy
- Refer A Friend Program
- Request a Catalog
- Shipping Policy
- WLS Professionals
Request a Catalog
and filling out the requested information.