Which flavors remind you of Fall? Pumpkin? Egg nog? How about pecans? Nothing is more reminiscent of what season you are in quite like a pecan pie. The trouble comes in the form of the calories that a traditional pecan pie can provide. When you want to have your pie and eat it too, try this delicious, easy-to-make, calorie-friendly treat. Best of all, it is allowed on many popular diets such as the Paleo diet. Even if you aren’t on a diet, you can enjoy a guilt-free treat this holiday season.
For the crust:
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 egg (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (preferably organic)
For the filling:
- 10 pitted dates (preferably organic)
- 2 eggs (preferably organic)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place parchment paper in a 10 x 15-inch glass oven safe dish.
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, and sea salt. Pulse it through for a few seconds before adding in the egg and coconut oil. Turn it back on until it begins to form a dough ball.
- Press the dough evenly in the dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a clean food processor, blend the dates, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract on high until you have a smooth filling.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Pour the filling mixture over the crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top filling.
- Bake the bars for another 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool for 15 minutes then cut them into even squares.
MAKE IT INTERESTING
Want to include a little vanilla flavor to your pecan pie bars while increasing your protein intake at the same time? Try adding in one or two tablespoons of BSN – IsoBurn into the batter, available from Nashua Nutrition. This popular protein powder contains an innovative fat burning formula that is ideal for any diet. Isoburn is a protein supplement that will turn these pie bars into the perfect post-workout snack.